A high score on the AEPA Middle Grades General Science Exam shows your ability to teach general science according to Arizona Academic Standards. Four areas are covered. First, Characteristics of Science (20%), which requires test takers to demonstrate a knowledge of scientific inquiry, principles, and procedures of scientific investigations. The next 25% of the test covers Life Science. The test taker must show competence in cell theory and the function and structure of organisms, as well as an understanding of communities and ecosystems. The Physical Science section of the AEPA Middle Grades General Science Exam is worth 30% and entails knowledge of properties of matter, reactions, force and mass, and characteristics of energy, light, sound, and electricity. The fourth section, Earth and Space Science (25%), covers the geologic history and composition of the Earth, the hydrosphere, climate, and atmosphere, along with the characteristics of the solar system and universe.
AEPA Middle Grades General Science Exam Study Questions
1. Which of the following is a constant?
A. The freezing point of water
B. The temperature at which iron ore will melt
C. The human population size
D. The time the sun rises each day
2. Which of the following is an example of a chemical reaction?
A. Heating ethanol so that it evaporates
B. Igniting ethanol so that it burns
C. Dissolving salt in water
D. Making ice cubes in a freezer
3. Of the following, which is the most basic unit of matter?
A. A helium atom
B. A sodium ion
C. A proton
D. An oxygen molecule
4. Which of the following phenomena would most readily lend itself to mathematical modeling?
A. The position of an electron in orbit around the nucleus of an atom
B. The rate of blood flow through an artery
C. The force required to extend a metal spring by a certain length
D. The rate at which cells divide in an embryo
5. Without _____ applied to it, an object in motion will tend to stay in motion.
6. A car trip to a point 50 miles away from home and back takes four hours. The top speed of the car was 50 miles per hour, and this speed was maintained during the second and third hours of the trip. Which of the following values represents the average velocity of the car?
A. 0 miles/hour
B. 12.5 miles/hour
C. 25 miles/hour
D. 50 miles/hour
7. Which of the following properties of a meteorite moving through the planet’s atmosphere would change as it approached the surface of the earth?
A. Its mass
B. its volume
C. Its density
D. Its weight
8. Which of the following is NOT an example of one Newton’s laws of motion at work?
A. Once in orbit, a satellite will continue moving around the earth.
B. It takes three times as much force to move a block that has twice the mass of another.
C. A ball rolling across the floor will continue moving across the floor.
D. When a shotgun is fired, the gun moves sharply in the opposite direction of the bullet.
9. Heating a liquid will most likely change its
A. Crystal structure
D. Electrical conductivity
10. Which of the following changes in physical properties is a chemical change?
A. Dissolving a seltzer tablet in water
B. Grinding pepper into powder
C. Freezing water
D. Churning cream into butter